/* ------------------------------------------------------------------------ */

Saturday, January 17, 2004

Post Haste

Yesterday, I awoke with a gun in my lap,
Dirt in my hair, smoke circling my eyes,
Wartorn, far away station, my home, my home,
Loveless, hostile nation, make to break or run,
My gun, my hands, cracked and oily,
Load and cock, I dreamt of my love, my love,
As sound fades to dull buzzing,
I make the break to run and gun.

The past, the time, so fast,
We come and then, we're done,
It doesn't last, long enough,
We live and breathe, we're fine,
No past, no time, so fast.

Yesterday, I awoke with my bundled child,
Young, virgin eyes peeking out, curious,
As the gum-filled mouth smacks its lips,
Little food in cabinets barren, to sustain,
Hold it to my breast and wish, and wish,
Left for sex, lust, power, greed,
My son, my pride, cracked and spoiled,
Beg and smile, I dreamt of my love, my love,
As sight fades to acrid, foolish, teary blur,
Lord above, lord below, make to decide and divide,
I cradle it in my arms and shiver, nervous,
I make the bread to break and feed.

The time, the past, so fast,
We came and then, we left,
It's spent before, not enough,
We walk and talk, we're alright,
No time, no past, so fast.

Orange sunset over crimson mountaintops,
A field of high, lush, green grass swirls,
Caught in the breeze of Fate, spin and twirl,
Like a pretty, dancing girl on the wooden stage,
Clacking shoes pivotting through synchronised steps,
Built to order, built to comply,
Finite paths to choose to take, make to fail or win,
Lay down the boundaries in early years,
Only to destroy the fortress you so carefully built,
Find out the impossibility of hiding it behind,
Under the straddling clouds of puffs of mist,
In the morning fog, all comes clear and singular,
It makes the road to support and lead.

So fast, the time, the past,
We found and then, we lost,
It rose before, high enough,
We speak and laugh, we're alive,
So fast, no time, no past.

Yesterday, I awoke with a book under my nose,
Trails of saliva tracing sentences down the page,
At my desk, I dream of my love, my love,
Fingers cramped around broken, empty pencil,
Ringing of sirens and neighbourly racket,
Pitch of the dead television greets the day,
I stretch my back, I pop my neck,
Flinch and blink, the cold seeps in and chills,
Smell of the dead from below, baking above,
One other in existence, one person to have,
No future in stock, no profit to gain,
Too much became so little, in due time, they said,
He knifed her eighty times in the chest,
That man that I used to call Father,
The crime was not by design, or so I would hope,
I make the journey to forget and forsake.

So fast, the past, the time,
We move and then, we stop,
It seems so little, more than enough,
We read and write, we're human,
So fast, no past, no time.

Yesterday, I awoke with a cat by my side,
Asphalt cushion to comfort street dweller,
Stained, rank cardboard blanket to warm,
Used to be different, I think, I think,
Before she left, had it all to give,
Gave it all to save the broken-hearted,
Under cement skies, I dreamt of my love, my love,
If lose could weigh, I'm feeling fatter, today,
Groan and wheeze, my disgrace written on the wall,
The city deigns the wealthy and poor,
I make to set my stake and pour my soul.

Black lettering on white grain,
Chapters written decades ago,
Tragedy in comedy and romance,
Blood spilt to appease what thirst,
Tears dript to amuse what audience,

Play wrote for parts unfilled,
Take the lines, take your cue,
It'll take you, take your life,
No God to save, no Saviour to diefy,
No blame to pass, no excuse to blame,

Game made for players unfound,
Take the ball, take your turn,
It'll take you, take your life.

The past, the time, so fast,
We come and then, we're done,
It doesn't last, long enough,
We live and breathe, we're alone,
No past, no time, no you.