/* ------------------------------------------------------------------------ */

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Editor's Note

A wiseman once said--I'm afraid:
"Love is like gold, twist it and
watch it fold and unfold."

This is the stanza usually devoted
To the celestial analogies;
This is the stanza where I write
Flowery description of a fictional woman;
This is the stanza when I pretend
To be a charismatic rogue.

A drunkard once slurred, in a bar,
(An ironic spot to find a drunkard!)
Not so far--inline rhyme--from here:
"Love is like a flower, it
blooms and smells real nice . . . "

"Oh, and, yeah, wilts, too."
(Isn't if funny how inline rhyme rhymes?)

Here is the refrain where I
Paraphrase previous lines of this poem;
Here is the refrain when I
Reiterate a major theme or meaning;
Here is the refrain usually for
Particular symbolism to reappear, again.

This isn't
free voice--
I just like carriage returns.

This is not, in fact,
Iambic pentameter, Frosty;
(Just writing iambic pentameter disqualifies it.)

A romantic once sung--off-key karaoke:
"And my heart will always go on and on,
I will love you forever and ever,"
Needless to say, he, too, was drunk.

Enter the part wherein I attempt
To seem clever by breaking the fourth wall;
Enter the part reserved for petty
Observations about my own poetry and self-indulgence;
Enter the part that should underline
How bad of a poet I truly am.

A man once wrote, in a frivolous trial,
Designed to purge certain emotions,
That ultimately encircled itself:

"A wiseman once said--I'm afraid."