/* ------------------------------------------------------------------------ */

Monday, March 31, 2003

The Invidious Condition

A persistent question which has been on my mind is that why, for whatever reason, do I look around myself and, here and there, sometimes feel tinges of envy towards those whom I do not even necessarily consider in an improved state of being in comparison to my own? I find myself having to remind myself of what I have, in the face of what I do not. This annoys me, for frivolous worries are nothing but wastes of time, in most cases. Is it that feeling which has driven all humanity to always strive to achieve, no matter the comfort level or general prosperity of the race? Do we each see and, invariably, yearn for that which is out of our grasp, at the time, and, thus, push harder to possess that desired goal, one day? The question arises, then, as to whether or not this is necessarily selfish or a state of jealousy -- after all, there is a striking difference between envy and jealousy: whereas envy implies one wishes to also have something, jealousy means one wishes to rob another of something for their own benefit. Is this good, or is this bad? Is there really any matter of righteousness here, though? If I see a woman in the arm of a man and wish to have somebody by my side, as well, and persist to accomplish said state, is it doing any wrong to that man and woman I saw, or any wrong at all? I don't really think so, and this entire train of thought is growing moot the more and more I examine it. We each draw happiness from different sources, what well you choose to draw from has no bearing on another's decision, I suppose, unless the well can run dry and more than one person is dipping out of it . . . Then, however, brings to light the quandry as to if happiness is a renewable or nonrenewable resource, hm?

I am rambling, I digress.